Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Murphy's Laws


"The more you want to hide and be on your way, the more people will insist on grabbing you by the arm and engaging you in a long discourse."

I have this appalling habit on this righteous planet. I love nightwear as daywear. There, I said it. Particularly my pyjamas which come in many colours and combinations. If I were the owner of this world I would make jammies mandatory wear. For everything. I envy the young of today who have taken this rule to heart and venture just about everywhere in their jammies and often with a teddy bear in tow too. My kind of people.

I have this long designer coat given to me by my generous benefactor. It is a lovely coat. Elegant. Deep turquoise, gold buttons. You know where I'm going with this, right?

I've discovered if I can jam my jammies (lol) into my boots, throw on the coat, glove and hat myself to keep out the chill and hide the bird's nest of hair, I can make you lot believe I am conforming to Senior Wear Canada.

So thus disguised I go to the local store today. And meet half the neighbourhood who are in the shop. This is the bigger shop on the peninsula, about 7km from my house and it has vegetables and fruit and meats and fish. I had to peel off the Aran hat to show the pattern to two interested knitters, and one of my card buddies had to tell me about the time he worked in Toronto and loved it, then an injured fellow from one village over gave me an update on the physiotherapy on his arm, taking far too long, and the shop owner himself was upset that I hadn't been around in a while even though I assured him I had, but it was his wife and daughter who were running the show at the shop while he had a day off and yes, they showed me their 250 pictures from their Irish trip. Mistake. He asked me what were my favourites and did I think he'd enjoy it if he tagged along next time? What should he see?

Meanwhile, I keep a tight grip on Da Coat which is covering a brilliant emerald green and orange jammie set. I have enough comments on my bright pink Uggs without causing the complete collapse of what passes for Outport Society with a surprise display of my unmentionables.

23 comments:

  1. haha..love it !!
    from one jammy girl to another :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! All the jammy lurkers come forth!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post WWW. Thanks for the smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear God, woman! Shocking pink with deep turquoise? Have you no shame?

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha, I love all your colorful nightime clothing combined with your colorful daytime outer wear. You must look like someone's favorite birthday present all wrapped up. I can't think of a better way to face the day. This will now be the image of you when I picture you in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'd got the impression Newfies were all so laid-back and easy-going they wouldn't care what you wore, even if you came out in a flying suit and aviator goggles.

    I think jammies as daywear are just fine, but Jenny thinks they're indescribably vulgar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. jammies in daytime? Sounds cosy, perhaps I should buy some. I only have nighties and if I went out in one of them the wind would whistle round my lower extremities summat horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Murphy's Law indeed... but, something tells me, in addition to your overcoat, you had a delicious smile covering your secret wardrobe rebellion. I just love your spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Rainbow Woman, I am gal you were not run over by a bus!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops! I am not drunk. That last comment should read: I am glad you were not run over by a bus!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nora:
    Thanks, pal. Just shy of a bag lady am I?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friko:
    O lawd, I can't stand nighties. They are alive. They strangle people while they sleep.
    Try jammies, you'll never go back. :)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharon,
    Now I know. It's the smile that gets people talking to me and pouring their hearts out and grabbing my hat to study my knitting.
    From here on in I scowl.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. GM:
    My mama said always dress as if an ambulance and a hospital visit were waiting for you.
    Sorry mama.
    And I think your mama and mine were of the same school.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. This made me laugh out loud. It never fails, does it? You think you're safe and bam! Someone wants to examine your Aran patterns!

    I'm off to buy a long coat then. My proper Mama would have a fit if she saw what I wore out on occasion. I was not raised to appear in public in my jammies even if they are now disguised as a "sweat suit." The one time I dashed to the corner store in a sundress without the benefit of chafing elastic underneath I was caught out and severely punished (I was 6). I've been more cautious ever since. This post gives my verve new nerve however.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pauline:
    The club is waiting for you, the louder the better!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry Nick, I missed your comment.
    Vulgar? What exactly is vulgar - as in of the commoners? Like me?
    Jenny should try it, it would do her a power of good!
    XO
    WWW
    And ps "Newfie" is not a PC term as I discovered. And as our pal Connor found out too. Using it could result in hanging, drawing and quartering of essential body parts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I go about our condo some days in my sleep pants my dear lady says "hah you are having a 'given up on life day'I see".The single quote refers to a family joke.

    Would Newfoundin be more suitable than Newfie ?

    ReplyDelete
  19. WWW, you should move to India. All of us wear our night clothes during the day time and vice versa! No one bats an eye lid! I went to my dentist this morning in my lungi and kurta. Perfectly normal. I will wear the same to sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. GFB:
    In my circle it is known as a "No Do Day", great ring to it!
    And it's "Proud Newfoundlander", my friend!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ramana:
    Well that's it then, I'm moving to Pune. Move over in the bed. And I like breakfast in it.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.