Friday, April 01, 2011

The Secret Six


~~~~~The Secret Six on Sports Day, 6th Class~~~~~

The days are tightening up. I get phonecalls. I get emails. Cork beckons me. Stress piles a little high as it's Canadian tax season and we all know what hilarious fun taxes are.

Meetings and more meetings. Mindlessly I applied to the Canadian Census Department for a position. Never thinking...tax season+trip+play+census...might make my head explode. And now they want me and it has.

But I don't really miss my brain as for 2 weeks I won't need it. Starting Wednesday. EVERY SURVIVOR of my High School Graduation Class is going to be there including the one who couldn't because of illness and family commitment. She left a message on my phone today to say she'd be there and I was thrilled.

We had a devious little group of 6 of us in 6th class (Grade 6) who were truly appalled at all the girly stuff going on around us and on a series of lunchtimes built a fort (with our fathers' 'borrowed' tools) up high on a tree behind the wall of the sports field. Seriously. And then go there and store and read books, safe from boy/lipstick talk. We were rather an odd group, but extraodinarily lucky to have found one another all those years ago and stick to each other all through high school. And find nothing wrong with getting good marks and avoiding stupid classes like domestic science (home ec. now)and demanding calculus in our all girls' school which didn't offer it. They had to ship over a male math teacher from the boys' school across the river to teach it to the 6 of us after regular school hours. We would be called geeks today and would have been weirdly proud of that designation. I am in touch with 2 of those fairly regularly and understand two more are coming from England and another from a convent where she's been a nun forever.

The past is very much with me these days. And sometimes that's not a bad thing.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you have the bag packed! Bon Voyage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you and for visiting your past with the other survivors. I love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six little gender rebels, what fun! I daresay there are similar groups today, hidden behind the lipstick and dating mainstream. How impressive that you actually got a special calculus teacher. Assertiveness can pay off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOooh - excitement!!!

    I'm already looking forward to reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you look forward to revisiting your past and that you have good memories of it. Count yourself blessed. I hope you have one heck of a good time. I wouldn't think of you as a nerd now, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it will be so much fun. I bet you guys will never stop talking, you have so much to tell after all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.