Friday, December 05, 2008

Satire Blares the Truth (again!)



Boy, I just love "The Onion".

This week's edition has a page devoted to George the Decider outlining his farewell thoughts on his successful presidency. I excerpt this:

It's just gonna be so hard packing up my things and heading off into the sunset come January. I wish I could go on forever giving massive and disastrous tax cuts to the wealthy, taking the country from a surplus to a deficit—nearly $500 billion this year, likely to pass $1 trillion next year, fingers crossed—and just generally doing irreparable damage to the very underpinnings of our economy, but, well, I'm afraid the Constitution says I can't. And not even I can overrule the Constitution. Though Lord knows I tried! Initiating blanket wiretaps without warrants, suspending habeas corpus for prisoners in Guantanamo, infiltrating an unknown number of nonviolent civilian antiwar groups without permission… such wonderful memories. I'm going to cherish them forever.


For more see here.

6 comments:

  1. It makes me shudder to think what he has really done and to see it satirized. You couldn't make that stuff up. People wouldn't believe you. Where was everybody while this was happening?

    By the way, my word verification is, mentual

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Priceless, WWW!

    And the cowboy rides away. I wonder what mischief he'll find to get up to next? I think he should go to Iraq and help out - ideal opportunity for him to be hoist with his own damned petard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I read The Onion whenever I can, it's sublime! Our local Borders sells the annuals, though it is harder to get the magazine.

    Over in Britain we have something similar called 'Private Eye', which has been going since the early 1960s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene:
    My firm belief is that 99% of the world is fast asleep.
    Or can't be bothered.
    Or are sedated by the Idiot Box.
    did you ever see Fahrenheit 451, it is prescient as to the present day.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. T:
    He needs to be charged with war crimes, I am dumbfounded that he got away with the blood of a million on his hands and genocide of the worst kind.
    I would like to see him in prison for the rest of his life.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura:
    Satire is a alive and well and tells the truth when the MSM cower in corners.
    I love Private Eye too....;^)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.