Saturday, September 24, 2005

Misplaced:Reward offered:My sense of Humour

I have to stop reading all my news fixes. I really do. I am getting skewed into something grim and pugnacious, wearing an intensity about life that is moulding my jaw into a forbidding clench. Making my conversations sprinkle and spit with rage against the cretinous spawn, DUI, operating the U.S. government.

I am nervous, like the hoary old analogy of the elephant and the mouse in bed together. The elephant rolls over and the mouse gets crushed. That's us poor Canadians, complete schizophrenics, on one hand loving when we get noticed (hey, the RCMP from Vancouver were first into New Orleans!)and grateful when we're not (hey, they never mentioned all the help we gave them after 9/11, who needs the idiots anyway, we like our low profile!) Reminds me of the relationship Ireland had with England when I was growing up. Always feeling less than, who needs them noticing us, oh cripes, they noticed us, watch out for a repeat of history!

Our water here is on the line as are our rich Alberta oil sands and our lumber. We monitor the elephant carefully. Is it moving over in the bed? Is the trumpeting getting louder?

Can one imagine a New Orleans happening in Canada, say even in our most disadvantaged black closest-to-a-ghetto area, the Jane Finch corridor here in Toronto? Informal poll, taken by me. A heartfelt "Never" from all, a few tears from some. "Never". "Oh thank God, never."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.